About Me

This blog is about me and my voyage to becoming a mummy. Ironically called “mummy in the baking” as together with my passion and obsession for all things cake related, I will never be able to have my own "bun in the oven." Years of fertility treatment have taken their toll and I now find myself on a new..eek, i hate this word...journey! The crazy train to adoption. I hope you will join me while I bake my way to becoming a mummy. I want this blog to be a source of information as well as a comforter. I hope it will inspire and help anyone who is considering adoption or who has in fact already bought their ticket for this..here I go again...journey. Cake makes me happy and I hope you will enjoy sharing my love of it. I want it to help lift your spirits and hearts through what can only be described as 'the trials and tribulations of the adoption process.' Along with my desire to be a family, I love my dogs, have an unhealthy love of sausages and chenin blanc, adore my land rover uber-nerd of a husband and continiously dream of balmy summer evenings. Baking in progress…..

Thursday 21 November 2013

Getting to know you...

After a dynamite poo explosion (good call by me to announce it was 'daddy's turn) and a few minutes of the In the Night Garden, we took our little boy upstairs for his first night. LRUN was still chuckling to himself about the 'titifers' characters from the Night Garden but we managed to remain serious and bed time was a breeze. Stepping back, we both looked exhausted. Not physically, more emotionally. It's been an intense day. But a quick supper and 90 min of Jack Whitehall comedy and lots of dog cuddles and we were going to be just fine.

LBM sleeps soundly all night. I hear him stir at 3am and again at 4am but they are gentle rustlings and he soon settles. I wake at 6.45am in a panic. OMG, I have a baby in the house. I need to get up. But he is still sound asleep. I eventually go in at 7.15am and he takes ages to wake up. We talk about what he dreamt about and do morning stretches (well, I do them and talk to him while he listens intensely and giggles) My little boy. My precious little boy.

But my friends, it is not all roses and candy. Today, he is restless, grumpy and needy. Same as yesterday. He wants me, he pushes me away. He wants daddy. He doesn't want daddy. There are a lot tears but there are also a few laughs. We are still getting to know each other. I call the Fairy Godmother to report all is 'ok'. She appears to be coping. She admits she managed to keep it together throughout her grocery run but had a enormous meltdown as soon as she walked back in the door. She needed that. We laugh about how tidy her house suddenly is. And how mine now looks like a children's centre. She says she might do some baking today. I smile. She has no idea about my blog. I will keep writing, there is no doubt about that. Perhaps not as often as now but I need to spend some time getting to know the new little man in my world.
PS. I couldn't resist and managed to rustle up a batch of Oat and Raisin Cookies during his afternoon nap. Two reasons. A: I was having baking withdrawal symptoms and B: LRUN had eaten the entire Sponge Cake I made a few days earlier. Monkey.


No comments:

Post a Comment