About Me

This blog is about me and my voyage to becoming a mummy. Ironically called “mummy in the baking” as together with my passion and obsession for all things cake related, I will never be able to have my own "bun in the oven." Years of fertility treatment have taken their toll and I now find myself on a new..eek, i hate this word...journey! The crazy train to adoption. I hope you will join me while I bake my way to becoming a mummy. I want this blog to be a source of information as well as a comforter. I hope it will inspire and help anyone who is considering adoption or who has in fact already bought their ticket for this..here I go again...journey. Cake makes me happy and I hope you will enjoy sharing my love of it. I want it to help lift your spirits and hearts through what can only be described as 'the trials and tribulations of the adoption process.' Along with my desire to be a family, I love my dogs, have an unhealthy love of sausages and chenin blanc, adore my land rover uber-nerd of a husband and continiously dream of balmy summer evenings. Baking in progress…..

Saturday 1 October 2011

A short history of a very long story….
I was having far too much fun in my twenties to think about having a family. I loved being around kids but there was a whole world to explore and babies were the last thing on my mind.
I met my landrover uber-nerd (from now on referred to as LRUN) on a sailing yacht and after 7 years of lots of fun and worldly travels, I married at 36 and only then did we begin to think about starting a family. I fell pregnant pretty soon after we began to try and I will admit, we were both a little shocked but excited too. Sadly, I miscarried quite traumatically at 10 weeks and it took me a while to pick myself up and begin trying again. The trying then went on for a long time, each month the disappointment getting a little more hard to face. After 4 years, 3 rounds of IVF and another 3 miscarriages, we really had to stop and face up to the real issues here. How badly did we want a family? There was no doubting our desire to love and nuture a child and to be a family but did we really want to continue pushing nature to it’s limits? Perhaps we had been put on earth for a different reason?
We had thought about adoption a lot and it suddenly dawned on me one day that having a child was not all about the nine months of pregnancy or pushing a baby out of your noo-noo, it was more about the rest of your life being able to love, have fun with and care for a child. If everyone on earth was able to fall pregnant naturally, who would look after all the children who needed families? A friend said to me one day, “ I don’t understand how you could love and bond with a child that wasn’t your own." I realised then that that thought had never ever even crossed my mind and I knew right then that adoption was the right road for us. Besides, I can now look forward to being able to bounce on the trampoline with my kids for years to come, without the need for a Tena Lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment