About Me

This blog is about me and my voyage to becoming a mummy. Ironically called “mummy in the baking” as together with my passion and obsession for all things cake related, I will never be able to have my own "bun in the oven." Years of fertility treatment have taken their toll and I now find myself on a new..eek, i hate this word...journey! The crazy train to adoption. I hope you will join me while I bake my way to becoming a mummy. I want this blog to be a source of information as well as a comforter. I hope it will inspire and help anyone who is considering adoption or who has in fact already bought their ticket for this..here I go again...journey. Cake makes me happy and I hope you will enjoy sharing my love of it. I want it to help lift your spirits and hearts through what can only be described as 'the trials and tribulations of the adoption process.' Along with my desire to be a family, I love my dogs, have an unhealthy love of sausages and chenin blanc, adore my land rover uber-nerd of a husband and continiously dream of balmy summer evenings. Baking in progress…..

Sunday 3 February 2013

It's my party and I won't be crying...but will mostly be eating cake

 My little babysitting monkey was so excited about seeing me all week, she kept asking her mummy "is it today that she's coming?" so by the time I got there on Saturday night she was beside herself with toddler excitement.  At the grand old age of 3 she had already planned we were going to watch the Lion King together, as her mom said she she could stay up until 8.30pm. We snuggled on the sofa together, sang Hakuna Matata in chorus and shared lots of giggles. After a couple of Maisy the Mouse bedtime stories, while I stroked her hair as she drifted off into slumber, it really hit home how much I want this. She slept soundly all night while I tucked into the light fruit cake her mom had left for me (she always makes sure there is cake for me on babysitting nights and she pays me....am feeling very grateful.

Sunday was filled with more kiddy winks time, as we went to a first birthday party. My friend had triumphed and successfully made her daughters first birthday cake. It was a beautiful light vanilla fluffy sponge and delicious.  (I cannot begin to describe how many friends/mothers call me in a complete panic while putting themselves through the guilt defying challenge of making their own first birthday cakes. The usual... "I've added the eggs to the butter instead of the sugar, does that matter. Should I start again....or..Help, why is my icing so runny....or my all time favourite...it's not bloody rising, I really should have got you to make it!!!!!"
The party was from was from 2-4pm but to be honest, I could have stayed there all day. Watching all these kids interact was the most fun I had had in ages. There were no tears, just tons of cute little faces all thoroughly enjoying themselves. Wild horses couldn't drag me away....

Triumphant achievement!

No comments:

Post a Comment