About Me

This blog is about me and my voyage to becoming a mummy. Ironically called “mummy in the baking” as together with my passion and obsession for all things cake related, I will never be able to have my own "bun in the oven." Years of fertility treatment have taken their toll and I now find myself on a new..eek, i hate this word...journey! The crazy train to adoption. I hope you will join me while I bake my way to becoming a mummy. I want this blog to be a source of information as well as a comforter. I hope it will inspire and help anyone who is considering adoption or who has in fact already bought their ticket for this..here I go again...journey. Cake makes me happy and I hope you will enjoy sharing my love of it. I want it to help lift your spirits and hearts through what can only be described as 'the trials and tribulations of the adoption process.' Along with my desire to be a family, I love my dogs, have an unhealthy love of sausages and chenin blanc, adore my land rover uber-nerd of a husband and continiously dream of balmy summer evenings. Baking in progress…..

Monday 11 February 2013

Well I never?

As a mid winter treat, we booked a weekend away in cottage in the cute little village of Orford with Mr and Mrs Fat Lady. I will confess, the main reason we chose Orford is there is a new father and daughter bakery opened up called the Pump Street Bakery which is taking Suffolk by storm. We stopped by for breakfast on the first morning and I found myself literally drooling over the vast array of breads, cakes and pastries on offer. Lets just say we stopped there alot over the weekend. They are only open Wed-Sun and just before closing on Sunday, we found ourselves panic buying croissants and pastries for breakfast on Monday morning.
I had taken a few of my adoption related books to read and snuggled up in front of the fire, with a cup of tea and a Portuguese Custard Tart and it was pure heaven. Whilst indulging in this decadence of 'me time', I went on to learn something fascinating. Apparently, it was possible to breast feed your adopted baby. Now I am under no illusion and that the chances of us adopting a child of breastfeeding age are virtually impossible but I still found this incredibly fascinating. It seems that the sucking motion on the breast encourages milk production. Admittedly, the milk won't contain the same hormones that a birth mother's would so you would have to supplement it with formula and you do have to start using a breast pump a few weeks before for it work. (In reality, the thought of me alone at home with no baby but pumping my breast just feels plain weird!) Still it was interesting reading. There was another option which involved a spaghetti thin tube which fits inside the bra and attaches to the nipple (I know, LRUN and I were both squirming too until we realised it was just on the outside of the nipple) and the baby sucks both to get as much bonding time and benefits as possible. Truly amazing. Now...back to my Portuguese Custard Tart.
 
Queen of Tarts

No comments:

Post a Comment