About Me

This blog is about me and my voyage to becoming a mummy. Ironically called “mummy in the baking” as together with my passion and obsession for all things cake related, I will never be able to have my own "bun in the oven." Years of fertility treatment have taken their toll and I now find myself on a new..eek, i hate this word...journey! The crazy train to adoption. I hope you will join me while I bake my way to becoming a mummy. I want this blog to be a source of information as well as a comforter. I hope it will inspire and help anyone who is considering adoption or who has in fact already bought their ticket for this..here I go again...journey. Cake makes me happy and I hope you will enjoy sharing my love of it. I want it to help lift your spirits and hearts through what can only be described as 'the trials and tribulations of the adoption process.' Along with my desire to be a family, I love my dogs, have an unhealthy love of sausages and chenin blanc, adore my land rover uber-nerd of a husband and continiously dream of balmy summer evenings. Baking in progress…..

Saturday 9 March 2013

Aah Mothers Day...that old chestnut

I'm in the supermarket shopping for icing sugar and the place is heaving...I know... 'whats new' I hear you sigh but seriously this is worse than normal. There are people everywhere panic buying tulips, chocolates and roast dinners. And then it dawns on me...it's Mother's Day tomorrow. Aaah....the day of mothers... a celebration I have always blanked, ignored or simply had no reason to jubilate. I lost my own mother brutally to cancer when I was 21. She was 48 (yikes...not much older than me really) Yes, my dad has a new partner and she is an amazing mother who I love enormously but we randomly celebrate Mother's Day on a different day of the year in SA. I also have a wonderful mother-in-law but she lives four hours away and celebrations aren't really their thing. But yes, I have bought her a card from LRUN, signed it and reminded him to post it. So tomorrow is going to feel strange. All my friends have plans as many of them are now new mums. For me it's going to be yet another reminder that I am still not yet a mother. "Ooh but enjoy all those lie-ins while you can", they say.  The truth is..I don't like lie-ins, lie-ins make me lazy and remind me that I don't have something to get up for. Anyhoo...LRUN's under the duvet whiffs confirm why lie-ins aren't always what you dream they'd be. Plus the dogs need a wee and I need tea so I just don't do lie-ins. But I don't want to come across as all glum and solemn and feeling sorry for myself as I am just not that type of person. So instead I am going to embrace tomorrow. Celebrate it as my 'mummy-to-be day.' Going through the adoption process is like a having a pregnancy but with no due date. I will be a mummy some day...I'm just not sure what day. I decide to bake myself my all time mood uplifting, bog standard chocolate cake but plan to add a twist of white chocolate and oreo icing. Gah! After all that  trolley dodging, I forgot to buy the icing sugar!


Sunday - Happy Mummy-to-be Day to me

No comments:

Post a Comment