About Me

This blog is about me and my voyage to becoming a mummy. Ironically called “mummy in the baking” as together with my passion and obsession for all things cake related, I will never be able to have my own "bun in the oven." Years of fertility treatment have taken their toll and I now find myself on a new..eek, i hate this word...journey! The crazy train to adoption. I hope you will join me while I bake my way to becoming a mummy. I want this blog to be a source of information as well as a comforter. I hope it will inspire and help anyone who is considering adoption or who has in fact already bought their ticket for this..here I go again...journey. Cake makes me happy and I hope you will enjoy sharing my love of it. I want it to help lift your spirits and hearts through what can only be described as 'the trials and tribulations of the adoption process.' Along with my desire to be a family, I love my dogs, have an unhealthy love of sausages and chenin blanc, adore my land rover uber-nerd of a husband and continiously dream of balmy summer evenings. Baking in progress…..

Monday 18 March 2013

Who you calling a fat rascal?

It's been a week of really good news but before you start doing your Freddy Mercury impersonation dancing round the kitchen in excitement, sadly none of it is MY good news. But it's fabulous news nonetheless and needs to be celebrated. The Fraigs have been to panel, approved and are already being linked to some little ones. An old friend has her panel booked for this week and I just know they are going to say yes and Little Mrs Rainbow has a match in the pipeline. In reality, for me, it's been a week of sad news. It might have something to do with two sets of very special and supportive friends who stood as references for us are moving away.....one to Oz...come on Shananagans..could you get any further away..!.. and the other to that side of the country where they drive tractors all day. I guess I am just once again feeling like the last man standing. Why are we having to wait so long? I guess this a just a natural emotion to feel when you finish your homestudy and are waiting for your SW to finish writing your PAR (an encyclopedia sized report on whether they think you would make suitable parents or not...."eye-roll") There are no more dates booked in the diary, no more Blue Peter style projects and homework, just the plain old silence treatment as she dilegently types away. As if five years of fertility treatment wasn't enough pain,  I just have this awful feeling it's not going to happen this year. Each day I check the post thinking maybe she's done it, maybe Miss Delia has been up all night with cups of coffee, grazing on mountains of cake and frantically typing away trying to get our report done. And it will miraculously arrive on the doorstep today in that all too familiar adoption services envelope. Reality soon slapped me in the face with a crumbly chocolate cookie when I spoke to one of our references and realised that Miss Delia hadn't even written their reports yet so we have a long wait ahead. To ease the pain, I go away up north with a friend to Harrogate (gosh, they talk funny up here) and we have a lovely weekend away, drinking wine, eating cake and shopping. Something I know when the little ones finally arrive, will be a thing of the past. We brave the queues of Betty's Tea Room and indulge in many, many delights. I buy LRUN a traditional Yorkshire Fat Rascal (a sort of comical rock bun/scone type fancy) Ok, so I buy him half a Yorkshire Fat Rascal as I couldn't stop eating the little bugger on the journey home. Crumbly, butter with juicy little currants...just too irresistible.


Yorkshire Fat Rascal





No comments:

Post a Comment