About Me

This blog is about me and my voyage to becoming a mummy. Ironically called “mummy in the baking” as together with my passion and obsession for all things cake related, I will never be able to have my own "bun in the oven." Years of fertility treatment have taken their toll and I now find myself on a new..eek, i hate this word...journey! The crazy train to adoption. I hope you will join me while I bake my way to becoming a mummy. I want this blog to be a source of information as well as a comforter. I hope it will inspire and help anyone who is considering adoption or who has in fact already bought their ticket for this..here I go again...journey. Cake makes me happy and I hope you will enjoy sharing my love of it. I want it to help lift your spirits and hearts through what can only be described as 'the trials and tribulations of the adoption process.' Along with my desire to be a family, I love my dogs, have an unhealthy love of sausages and chenin blanc, adore my land rover uber-nerd of a husband and continiously dream of balmy summer evenings. Baking in progress…..

Sunday 7 April 2013


I've been to Paradise but I've never been to me.....

 I bet you're all curious as to how LRUN is coping with his new commute. Between you and me I think he is secretively enjoying it. In fact I've never seen him with so much spring in his step in the morning (unless it's his new gay sea and samphire wake up shower gel but I doubt it) He's home by 7.15 pm but he is finding the evenings a bit harder to get used to. His LandRover Man Den time is cut short you see..... This could also have something to do with the fact our oven has broken..... Disaster......I need to bake....I must bake....please fix it!

We had been invited round to the Fraigs for dinner and to celebrate their adoption match with the two little boys and thought we might as well stay the night as we're bound to crack open the bubbly. It was a great evening and the news of the boys possibly being with them by the start of summer is certainly worth celebrating. Lets just say there was a lot of alcohol consumed and after a night cap of half a bottle of their finest whiskey, LRUN managed to fall asleep at the table. So charming. We laughed as we wondered how different hangovers would be with little ones in tow. Thanks Fraigs, not just for the hangovers but for sharing this milestone with us. Thanks for showing us how you were getting their room ready, it was beautiful to see how real this is all becoming for you. You've waited a long time for this and are so deserving of these two very special boys.

The frivolities continued at a wedding down in a hillier part of England. A huge grand affair for a very special Miss Blue Eyes and her husband and topped off with a cake made entirely of cheese! LRUN couldn't be happier. An enormous amount of good old days silly fun was had with our old yachting buddies. 'Gosh, I haven't seen you for like 5 years' said Miss Jonesy.."How are you.... What are you up to.... Have you got any kids?" It was with great pride that I answered loudly this time and far from the usual muffled whisper " Almost...."We're adopting!" The evening was filled with delicious food, lots of wine and I tell you, LRUN was shaking some moves on that dance floor.  I got to catch up and spend some crazy, fun times with my darling Miss Elaine Page and little Miss Sarah Jessica Parker....I love you girls madly. Way after pumpkin hour, the karaoke sessions kicked in and we triumphed in a live performance of the 70's hit by Charlene.... "I've been to Paradise but I've never been to me" Such an emotional performance possibly fuelled by the Bollinger but it got me thinking how lucky we were to have spent six years working on board luxury sailing yachts, travelling the world, spending time in those idyllic locations most people only see in the brochures. Now it was time to find that mummy in me. 

Cake of Cheese

My Cake Mantra


No comments:

Post a Comment