About Me

This blog is about me and my voyage to becoming a mummy. Ironically called “mummy in the baking” as together with my passion and obsession for all things cake related, I will never be able to have my own "bun in the oven." Years of fertility treatment have taken their toll and I now find myself on a new..eek, i hate this word...journey! The crazy train to adoption. I hope you will join me while I bake my way to becoming a mummy. I want this blog to be a source of information as well as a comforter. I hope it will inspire and help anyone who is considering adoption or who has in fact already bought their ticket for this..here I go again...journey. Cake makes me happy and I hope you will enjoy sharing my love of it. I want it to help lift your spirits and hearts through what can only be described as 'the trials and tribulations of the adoption process.' Along with my desire to be a family, I love my dogs, have an unhealthy love of sausages and chenin blanc, adore my land rover uber-nerd of a husband and continiously dream of balmy summer evenings. Baking in progress…..

Tuesday 13 August 2013

Blah....blah...blah....

So after a quick dash home at lunchtime to let the dog out, I see out of the corner of my eye, the answerphone light flashing. Expecting the usual PPI claim malarky, I press the play button and walk away. I stop dead in my tracks when I hear the familiar tone of Miss Delia's voice on the line. The line is so crackly and her voice so soft I can barely make out what she is saying. I lean hard against the sideboard and listen intently. But the words I can make out loud and clear of 'sorry, no match yet' sink my heart. She goes on to say a bunch of empty, meaningless stuff about how, at the end of this month, we will go on the national adoption register but how she was 'hopeful'..now there's an empty word I have grown to dislike... that this road wouldn't be necessary.

Forgive me if I sound ungrateful. I know, I know, at least she called. But I spend all day with my 'coping' face on and sometimes, just sometimes,  towards the end of the day, it becomes obvious that I am just not. I am tired. Tired of hovering on the outskirts of that family circle and being that annoying wannabee parent. Oh...pick me..pick me...! Like some sort of weird groupie. I just want us to be a family. I'm sure when we do finally get our match I will look back and laugh. Guffaw at how impatient I was becoming.  Right now, I am finding this all pretty darn hard.

LRUN seems to be coping fine by eating biscuits and keeping busy and has finished painting the little ones bedroom. Just white for now. It looks good. Clean and fresh. Ready for me to work my brilliance. I will admit, I think I'm becoming a little obsessed with the owl theme. The wonders of Pinterest....how did I manage before?

But after all this gloominess, there is proof of the magic of this mysterious world of adoption. We
spent Saturday with our adoption buddies, the Fraigs, as it was their littlest one's birthday. Mrs Fraig asked if I could bring cake. Now, I can't just bring cake, I have to bring awesome cake and ok, so I got a little bit carried away but it went down a treat. Even Triple A's little one went home to tell her daddy she had had yummy cake. Result!

Hip Hip Hooray



2 comments:

  1. How lovely and when you do get that call it will be well worth it believe me! me and my husband went on the same journey around 8 years ago! When we got the call to say we had a son I burst into tears! Then around 2months later we became the proud parents of a 10 month old boy! It was definatly worth everything we went through! Good luck to you allxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are at exactly the same stage and I am feeling like the most impatient person on the planet! I am sure like you say that we shall look back and laugh!

    The cake looks beautiful - I work in a tearoom p/t baking and p/t as an assistant cook in an old folk's home and can relate to the therapeutic value of a good baking session :-). Good luck with things! xx

    ReplyDelete