About Me

This blog is about me and my voyage to becoming a mummy. Ironically called “mummy in the baking” as together with my passion and obsession for all things cake related, I will never be able to have my own "bun in the oven." Years of fertility treatment have taken their toll and I now find myself on a new..eek, i hate this word...journey! The crazy train to adoption. I hope you will join me while I bake my way to becoming a mummy. I want this blog to be a source of information as well as a comforter. I hope it will inspire and help anyone who is considering adoption or who has in fact already bought their ticket for this..here I go again...journey. Cake makes me happy and I hope you will enjoy sharing my love of it. I want it to help lift your spirits and hearts through what can only be described as 'the trials and tribulations of the adoption process.' Along with my desire to be a family, I love my dogs, have an unhealthy love of sausages and chenin blanc, adore my land rover uber-nerd of a husband and continiously dream of balmy summer evenings. Baking in progress…..

Tuesday 24 September 2013

Hip Hip Hooray...Looks who's one today!

On the usual dash home at lunchtime, I come across the all too familiar sight of two Amazon packages on the doorstep. I won't deny it, I perform the usual sigh and eye roll of 'what has he bought for the Landrover now?' ritual. But as I bend down to gather them up, I see LBM's name printed in bold on the label. There it is. His name in print. In lights. Making him more real than I could ever imagine. I feel all giddy and do my best to ignore the dog while I rush inside and nervously open it. Its a couple of beautifully wrapped gifts from Little Miss Sarah Jessica Parker (aka my surrogate-baby friend still on that floor!) wishing LBM a very happy first birthday. Now, I know I said I wanted everyone to just stop crying but right here right now, I am so touched by this. She is such a gem and I love her madly for this. I resist the urge to open them further but instead run my finger over his name. His beautiful name. We didn't buy him a gift. I want us to be his gift. I want him to be the luckiest little boy in the world. But we did send the card. Something bright and cute and proudly  signed  'love mummy and daddy' He is away on holiday this week with his foster family and I wonder what they have planned for him.

I have cakes to make tonight but it's an order for a client and it feels strange that me of all people is not making our little boy a cake. But you know what, he doesn't need cake right now. He needs love. There will be so many more birthdays ahead filled with mountains of cake. While my cupcakes are cooling, I crack open the bubbly and toast him. Cheers LBM! Here's to many more magical birthdays. But looking back at my cake order, I may sneak in a few blue ones for good measure.


1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday to LBM. He is one lucky little boy (what a prezzy - a new forever family of his very own)
    :-)
    Love Chrissie and little C xx

    ReplyDelete