About Me

This blog is about me and my voyage to becoming a mummy. Ironically called “mummy in the baking” as together with my passion and obsession for all things cake related, I will never be able to have my own "bun in the oven." Years of fertility treatment have taken their toll and I now find myself on a new..eek, i hate this word...journey! The crazy train to adoption. I hope you will join me while I bake my way to becoming a mummy. I want this blog to be a source of information as well as a comforter. I hope it will inspire and help anyone who is considering adoption or who has in fact already bought their ticket for this..here I go again...journey. Cake makes me happy and I hope you will enjoy sharing my love of it. I want it to help lift your spirits and hearts through what can only be described as 'the trials and tribulations of the adoption process.' Along with my desire to be a family, I love my dogs, have an unhealthy love of sausages and chenin blanc, adore my land rover uber-nerd of a husband and continiously dream of balmy summer evenings. Baking in progress…..

Wednesday 27 November 2013

Stay and play....

We welcome Miss Delia back into our home to assess how LBM is getting on. As predicted, he is putting on his best charms. In truth, I've hidden the fire engine. She is happy with his adjustment and his attachment to us is developing well. She stays for ages and seems completely comfortable in our home. She comments on how amazing his room looks and she asks how I made the tissue paper pom-poms hanging from his ceiling. Who would have thought we would be bonding over crafts?

We talk about his hunger. His deep desire for food and milk. I have only given him slices of apple for snacks the last couple of days and he seems to be enjoying them. It's just the milk. I read in my 'font of all knowledge' baby guide that at one years of age, your toddler should be having 300ml of whole milk per day. This little guy was on just under 700ml of toddler formula a day when he joined us. In a week, we have cut it down to 500ml and counting but this does come with consequences. A very moody little boy. I try and nurture him through other ways. Party bubbles work a treat. As does water play. But this is tricky in the dead of a dark and chilly November. She has concerns that he is not yet walking and suggests we get him a walker. I may take Miss Boobylicious up on her offer and borrow hers. Even if it is pink.

LRUN and I decide to brave the local playgroup and we manage to make it there in time for the 9am start. LBM has a blast but is noticeably going through a destructive phase. Everything must be tossed, thrown or bashed down. I ask one of the other moms how you can curb this. She replies.."Hey, they're just boys. That's just what they do." I think I may feel at home here. It's snack time and I can feel my heart racing. Oh.....please don't let him steal all the other children's food. But he doesn't. He sits calmly on my lap and munches away at the cheese and biscuits they have on offer. If I'm honest, this could have gone a whole lot worse if he was actually left on his own in the circle but let's save that for another day.  In the midst of the closing parachute play, LBM ends up face planting on the mat and the tears are coming fast and furiously. I realise he is tired and just needs some time out, so we head back for an early lunch and a nap. Just as he goes down, the phone rings. It's Miss Delia. She wants to pop round later to talk to us about something. LBM's tummy mummy has had another baby. A half sister to LBM. Things are not going well and they want to talk to us about the possibility of taking her on. We knew this was coming. But just not so soon. LRUN is worried. We are soooo not ready. But I calm him down and say let's just listen to what she has to say. No decisions needed as yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment